Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pattern Revolution Bundle Up Sale-ModKid Hailey Top



The latest Bundle Up sale by Pattern Revolution is going on RIGHT NOW and this edition is all about the ladies!  I have made up several of the patterns in the bundle and, let me tell you, this bundle is a good one!  I'll be featuring the patterns I have sewn up over the next few days while the bundle sale is going on.  


Today I am featuring the ModKid Hailey Top. 



This is a really fun and flattering pattern.  It comes in a shirt, tunic and dress length and the sizes range from XS-XXL.  The pattern also includes an optional ruffle for the dress length.  Plus, it can be made from knits or wovens.  

I made the top length, size L, but with the skirt portion of the top cut at the XXL length (because I am 5'11" and I need the extra length!) out of knit.  


I used a striped fabric and thought it would be super cute to do the stripes on a diagonal.  So, instead of cutting on the fold for the back, I cut two separate pieces and also cut the back and the front pieces on the diagonal to achieve the chevron look of the stripes.


I just love how it turned out.  Stripes? Good! Chevron? Good! (Any FRIENDS fans out there? That's my inner Joey...)


Because my matching of my stripes was not dead on in the front, I ended up needing to trim it just a bit to make it match, so my top was a little lower cut than the pattern typically would be.  I would have worn a tank under it regardless, so it was fine by me.  And it keeps that "really anal about stripes matching" voice inside my head from going crazy.  


Like all of the ModKid patterns I have made, this was well written and went together without a hitch. It is a really quick sew, I easily made it in an evening.  I skimped out a bit on the shirring, doing a couple fewer rows than the pattern called for; my bobbin ran out of elastic thread and it seemed to fit fine, so I left it as it was.  


I am super happy with this top.  I am going to try a woven version of it too.  I have a RTW top made out of a border print that is very similar in style and I have always really liked it, but it is a touch shorter than I like.  So now I can make a few in the length I like!  

I don't really do dresses, but I think I'll end up with a version of this as a swim cover up at some point too.  I got some semi-sheer tie-dyed knit recently that is just begging to be a swim cover up and this pattern would be fabulous for that.  


Whether a top or a dress, this is a universally flattering pattern with a little something for anyone!   



This is just one of the patterns available in the Bundle Up deal.  There are 12 patterns you can mix and match, plus you save more as you buy more (as low as $4.00 each!) and there are 2 bonus freebies when you purchase the bundle. Head over and build your bundle! 

*Like A Mother*

5 comments:

  1. Great job! This will be cute in a border print. :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fabulous job with your Hailey top... love the chevron stripes!! :) Thanks so much for the pattern review!
    Patty/MODKID

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I've been searching your blog with no luck. I saw your cape tutorial at http://patternrevolution.com/blog/2014/1/21/frozen-capes-a-tutorial-to-adapt-the-ruby-jeans-closet-gwedolyn-cape-for-your-princess and am looking for the Anna dress you posted a picture of. Is that on your blog somewhere as well? Please email me at ali_webitems@hotmail.com, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! sarah@forrussia.org

    ReplyDelete